Regardless of his orientation, Tom Ford continues to be a very praised gentleman in any woman’s eye. He has somewhat built this flawless image of himself, projecting an indisputably fashionable gentleman in the public’s eye. And the image, my lovelies, as we all know, is what sells.
Tom Ford wants to sell the gentleman. And he wants the women and men of the world buying his version of the gentleman. And he’s almost there – so for a better understanding of his vision, he’s now teaching us what a true gentleman is and what he does. Ladies, take notes, gents? you too! (the fragments below are from an interview mr Tom Ford gave to Jefferson Hack for the Spring / Summer 2011 issue of Another Man Magazine; Photographer Jeff Burton)
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.