Authenticity is the key issue when talking big money. Hermès is one of the fashion houses who’s still faithful to the handcraft shift.
A Hermès Bag means lists and years of waiting for your precious ordered luxurious purse. This is one of the reasons why Hermès bags are treasured and vintage-hunted most of all. The problem when wanting to purchase a vintage Hermès is knowing that it’s not a fake. This is how you recognize a real Hermès:
1. check under the strap (usually the one on the right when looking at the bag) and there you should find a blind stamp, a marking in a circle or square with the year when the bag was produced. Hermès uses a special alphabet – “numbering” – for instance, we’re currently in the year L (2008). Next to this stamp there should be a craftsman ID. If you checked this strap and find the above markings there’s no reason to jump for joy yet because there are many fake Hermès bags with these signs (counterfeiting is always improving).
2. check the hardware – when you’re looking at a real Hermès, you should know that the hardware is normally made of palladium or 24k gold plate (the fake ones have steel poor-quality hardware).
3. check the stitchings – if there’s a real Hermès, the stitchings should be regular and in the same direction.
4. check the borders of the exterior leather and the glue on the inside corners – there should be no irregularities and all should be very smooth (a fake Hermès always looks sloppy and with ridges when talking borders and corners).
5. check the zipper on the inside pocket that should have a leather pull strip, horizontal to the zipper (engraved with Hermès).
6. a real Hermès should stay on its own, the feet on the bottom of the bag should look as any hardware piece, and shouldn’t screw off easily and don’t forget to check the marking Hermès Paris made in France, embossed in gold leathers when opening the bag (the hardware piece from the scrap also is engraved with Hermès – Paris).
I hope this helps you make the difference between a real and a fake Hermès. If you’ve got more valuable information on the subject (or would like to make some improvement to the present article), please feel free to write. There also the clip issued by Christie’s, a “how to” movie explaining what makes a Hermès Bag Authentic.
(via bagsnob, timesonline)
I found this website that actually sells Hermes bag for $400, made with “real” letter. I thought it was disrespectful.
There are tons of fakes online. There is this site that has real Hermès bags, guaranteed, and a great selection. It’s called Catherine B. The actual shop in Paris has all the goods, better than the site. I called them up and asked a ton of questions–and got the Kelly of my dreams.
Jennifer – really? and how much you had to pay for it? (just curious, I totally understand if you don’t want to talk about it!)
Thank you so much for this information. i was able to determine that the hermes bag i have is a fake. Saved me a big headache of trying to sell it.
Hi, I have a new hermes birkin bag which is an unwanted gift. I was trying to sell it on ebay but although I am convinced it is authentic I wonder if there is anyone who will check out piccies since we do not have a Hermes shop anywhere near us where I can get it authenticated. I am pretty certain it is the real thing but would hate to loss my ebay site for selling conterfeit goods…. any suggestions…. I have loads of piccies I have taken….. thanks.
Can the real hermes bag be made by different kind of leather?
my hermes bag is not stamped with the made in france,it has a rounded shape key
although it has the blind stamp and the artizans stamp
can anyone help me out
its the kelly pochette not the box one
hi, to be honest it was hard how to notice a real Hermes since the stamp code not guarantee if it’s authentic, but one things for sure, if the items say Hermes Paris made in French , hardware engrave said Hermes , and the corner zipper with H, has stamp circle orsquare (have to know if the letter big or small) and use a good hardware always same color with the letter on the purse, maybe I can buy that, but the problem I have found the sign almost perfect har to say real or now with stamp anything there but you have to see the fabric of the leather of garment and stitching , but I prefer to have the ostrich or crocodile because it’s easy to notice by looking the padlock always cover with the same leather with the purse when the fake one not. :) but if you not really know, do not spend a thousand money for the bag if you not really know if that real or no, because a lot of seller not honest. that’s it. :)
hi, do authentic Hermes bags come with plastic covering the bottom feet when new? THANK YOU
Leave a Comment