Sometimes I struggle to find a certain something to fit into an outfit so much that I completely mess up my wardrobe.
Weeks after, I get to the bottom of things and restore order in the closet. Every now and then I find a lipstick in my makeup case I completely forgot about, especially because I rarely wear lipstick, I open it up, smell it and wonder how long has it been since I bought it and if it’s still safe to use. If make up could be more like clothing, restore order and not being aware of the expiry period..
Many cosmetics recipients have a logo mark wrote down to announce us just how long can you keep the product, use it, with no harm done, most of the make up products don’t have that encryption so it’s better for all of us to keep a list of the most common make up products and their “safe period” after opening:
• mascara – 4-6 months
• foundation (oil based) 18 months, (water based) 12 months
• blusher (powder) 2-3 years, (cream) 18 months
• nail polish 12 months (longer if kept in the fridge)
• lipsticks & glosses a couple of years (away from heat sources)
• eyeshadow and face powder 2 years, (cream formulas) 18 months (with lid shut tight)
• pencils 2-3 years (away from the sun and sharpen regularly)
Then again you have the commandments for your make up case :
1. clean your make up sponges and brushes with water and your regular soap
2. throw away broken make up (lipstick included)
3. throw away make-up when it smells weird
4. throw away brushes looking more like brooms
5. throw away everything passed its use-by date (either past the time announced by the logo marking or past the periods listed above)
6. don’t use make up if you have an eye infection
Please feel free to add your beauty commandment in a comment and I’ll update the article!